Search My Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Beef Stew


My husband requested beef stew the other day. So, I went out and bought everything that I needed to make stew.  After a bit of thought, something occurred to me.... the stew that I was thinking of may not have been the stew my husband was thinking of. I mean, usually when he requests something particular, it's a dish that his mom used to make and he wants me to try to recreate. But beef stew? With potatoes, carrots and tomato? Never seen him mom make that! So, I thought I would ask.

And I was right. He was actually thinking of something similar to Blanquette de Veau (French Veal Stew) or some kind of slow cooked meat in a brown sauce and starch on the side.

Oh well. With the ingredients already in the fridge, I decided to go ahead with a traditional (well, by North American standards) beef stew.

Despite the fact that it wasn't what my husband had in mind, he loved it. And so did I! The ultimate comfort food!

Beef Stew 
Serves 4-6

750 grams Stewing Beef (Beef cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes)
1/2 cup Flour
Olive Oil
3 Large Yellow Onions, cut into chunks
6 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
1 tbsp Dried Thyme
1 1/2 cups Beef Broth
1 cup Water
3 tsp Worchesterchire Sauce
4 Large Carrots, cut into large chunks
4 Large Potatoes, cut into large chunks
1- 28oz Can Whole Tomatoes, undrained
Salt and Pepper

Place 1/4 cup of flour in a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Toss the beef cubes in the flour.

Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Drizzle enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the beef and brown on all sides. Remove the beef from the pan. Add the onions, garlic and thyme. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion softens. Add about 2 tbsp of olive oil to the pan. Add the other 1/4 cup of flour and stir constantly.

Stir in the beef broth and the water, and cook until it starts to bubble. Add the worchesterchire, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and beef. Bring up to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook for about 1 hour, or until meat is tender. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve as is or over rice or mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment