Search My Blog

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Wild Rice Salad


I love summer. Sunshine, music, farmers markets, bbqs....What could be better than that?

In Vancouver, this weather lasts just a few months, but it's these few months that propel us through the rainy and grey days during the rest of the year. Then, when the warmth and sunshine returns, we somehow quickly forget about those cold, wet days and become happy and social again!

So, to take advantage of the sunshine, I am spending as much time outside as I possibly can, trolling farmers markets, working in the garden, and of course, enjoying summertime meals. For this summer evening meal, I combined some farm fresh ingredients with some hearty wild rice, feta and dried cranberries to create this amazing salad that I really think I could eat all year long!


Wild Rice Salad
Serves 4-6

5 cups Cooked Wild Rice
2 Bell Peppers, diced
4 stalks Celery, diced
1 cup Parley, chopped
1 cup Dried Cranberries
3/4 cup Slivered Almonds, lightly toasted
3/4 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled

Dressing
Juice of 1 1/2 Large Lemons
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Shallot, finely chopped
Salt to taste

Toss all salad ingredients together in a bowl.
In a jar, combine all dressing ingredients and shake until emulsified. Pour as much dressing as you like into the salad, stir, and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment