Search My Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Flavorful, Slow Roasted Lamb Shanks



I wasn’t feeling great today. The temperature has dropped, it’s raining outside, and I feel just miserable. My feet and head have been cold all day. So, when I got home from work, I needed food. And not just any food, but warming, stick to my gut food. Food that would fill my kitchen with comforting aromas without causing too much stress. And here it is. The dish that saved me. Slow Roasted Lamb Shanks. Need I say more?



Flavorful, Slow Roasted Lamb Shanks
Serves 4

1 1/2 kg Lamb Shanks, cut into about 8 pieces
1/4 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
3 tbsp + 1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, cut into large dice
3 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
5 cloves Garlic, peeled whole
Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
3 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 liter Stock (I used Veggie Stock)
1 cup Water
1 cup Dried White Beans, soaked in cool water for 1 hour then drained

Place the lamb In a large resealable plastic bag. Add the flour, salt, and pepper, close the bag, and toss around until lamb pieces are coated.

In a large oven proof dish, heat 3 tbsp of olive oil. Brown the lamb on all sides and set aside. In the same dish that you browned the lamb, add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil. Sautee the onions, rosemary, garlic cloves and lemon zest for a few minutes. Add the lemon juice and the Dijon mustard. Stir to coat.

Add the stock and water. Bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and stir in the beans. Place the lamb back into the dish so that each piece is about halfway covered with the bean and broth mixture, cover, and roast in a 180 degree oven for about 1 1/2 hours, until the lamb is tender. Enjoy!

2 comments: