Search My Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Quick and Easy Chicken Curry



Sometimes, I think curry has a bad reputation. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s the idea that all curry is mouth burning hot. Or that they need to cook for hours. Or maybe that curries will make you hug the porcelain pony all night. Or that curry is creamy and therefore can’t be healthy. Honestly, I don’t know what it is. I love curry.



For me, curries combine everything good into 1 dish. Sweet, spicy, acidic, earthy, creamy, fresh, hearty…

Yes, the list of ingredients can be daunting. But don’t let that put you off! If you actually read the list, you will find that many are simple pantry ingredients. As for the spices, once you have them in your cupboard, they become a part of your kitchen, and you will find that you have opened the door on a whole new world of flavor.
So, just open the door and give it a try...



Quick and Easy Chicken Curry
Serves 2

2 Whole Chicken Legs, cut into pieces (thigh and drum)
4 tbsp flour
3 tsp + 1 tsp Curry Powder
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Onion, diced
1 Green chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Fennel seeds
2 Bay leaves
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 can Whole Peeled Tomatoes
1 cup Plain yogurt
Handful of Fresh Cilantro
Salt and Pepper to taste
Plain Steamed Rice for serving

Mix the flour and 3 tsp curry powder together in a bowl and turn the chicken pieces in it, until they are coated.

In a large saucepan over medium high heat, heat the oil and add the chicken pieces, skin side down, and cook until browned on both sides. Remove the chicken from the pan.

In the same pan, add the garlic, onions and chili, and cook for about 2 minutes until the onions start to soften. Add the cumin, fennel, bay leaves, 1 tsp curry powder, and the chili powder and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Crush the tomatoes with your hands and then add them to the pan. Cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in the yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken back into the saucepan, cover, and let simmer for about 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked.

Serve with plain steamed rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.

8 comments:

  1. The length of the ingredient list is definitely daunting to many. However, once you have the ingredients in your pantry, throwing together a delicious curry is easy as pie. Your recipe is making me crave a steaming hot curry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wishing for smell o vision on my computer. I love curry, this looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore curry - particularly in the winter and make it every which way - fast,slow and in-between. This look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all kinds of curry, we eat different ones -I'd say 3 times a week. I will have to try yours soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Don't forget about the smell! I LOVE curry anything, though, and this dish looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love easy recipes! This one is easy and yummy, and looks great for rotis and rice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love curry also - but Grumpy gets really grouchy when I make it. He not only doesn't like the taste he doesn't like the smell. I think he's crazy!

    ReplyDelete