Search My Blog

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Recipes using Juicer Pulp: Apple Carrot Muffins



I have never been a big juice fan. I guess it’s the idea that when you drink juice, you get all the sugar and calories without the benefits of the fiber and other good stuff in the pulp. So, I always thought why not just eat the fruit or vegetable whole?

My reservations about juice were confirmed a few years ago when I got a juicer as a gift. I tried it once, felt that it was a lot of work and a lot of waste, and gave it away to my brother.

I mean, don’t get me wrong. Every once in a while I love to sip a glass of fresh, frothy juice. But I just didn’t see the point getting a juicer and making it a daily routine.

But today, well, I gave in. I got a juicer. And I was so excited about my new gadget that I started to juice everything in sight… apples, carrots, pineapple, oranges, grapefruits. The resulting juice was amazing. Sweet, fresh, foamy. And then I saw the pulp container. It was full! I couldn’t believe that a couple of glasses of juice could result in so much waste! So came my determination to find a way to use this pulp.

And here it is. The first of what will likely be many recipes for juicer pulp. And let me tell you… they were amazing! Cheers to juicing and all the waste that comes with it!

Of course, if you don’t have any pulp left over from juicing, you could just use fresh grated fruit and vegetables and omit the water in the recipe.

Apple Carrot Muffins
Makes 18 muffins

Dry Ingredients
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
2 tsp Baking Soda

Wet Ingredients
4 Eggs
1/2 cup Canola Oil
1/4 cup Water
2 tsp Vanilla Extract

1 1/2 cups Apple Pulp
1 cup Carrot Pulp

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins. In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat eggs. Add oil, water, and vanilla. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Stir in the apple and carrot pulp. Fill muffin tins with mixture (you can fill them to the top as this mixture won’t rise much). Bake for 20 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the centre should come out clean.

7 comments:

  1. Waste not, want not! Good way to use up the pulp :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm, I LOVE apple when baking desserts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting such a useful, impressive and a wicked article./Wow.. looking good!

    Juicer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! I've been looking for ways to use that stuff up! Yum - can't wait to make these....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe, Mix the carrot and apple pulp and spices into waffle mix too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work paul watson

    ReplyDelete