Search My Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Pantry Fish Cakes


When I was a kid, I remember eating frozen fish cakes, which I baked in the toaster oven for about 20 minutes and dipped in ketchup. Since that time, I have eaten many fish cakes and crab cakes, but never really thought of making them at home. Especially since where I am living, good fish and seafood are very hard to come by.


Then I stumbled across this recipe that uses canned sardines! Now that is certainly something that I could try because all the ingredients were in my pantry! So I did. And they were great.


Pantry Fish Cakes

Makes 8-10 Large Fish Cakes

For the Fish Cakes
3 cups Potatoes, cut into chunks (about 1/2 kg)
2 x 120g cans Sardines in water, drained
1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
Zest and Juice 1 small lemon
3 tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 tbsp Green Onions
Salt and Pepper

For the Sauce
1 tbsp Green Onions
2 tbsp Parsley, chopped
1 tbsp Light Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Light Yogurt
Zest and Juice 1 small lemon
Salt and Pepper

Canola Oil for cooking

Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 15-20 mins. Meanwhile, coarsely mash the sardines in a bowl (there's no need to remove the calcium-rich bones as they are soft enough to eat). Mix in the parsley, lemon juice, zest, green onions, and dijon. Drain the potatoes, then mash until smooth. Gently mix into the sardine mixture and season. Moisten your hands and shape into 8-10 large cakes.

In a seperate bowl, mix the sauce ingredients together.

Drizzle some canola oil into a non-stick frying pan and fry the fish cakes in batches for about 3-4 mins on each side until golden and crisp. Serve with the yogurt sauce.

2 comments: