Search My Blog

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Dark & Moist One- Bowl Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache



Who doesn’t love chocolate cake? And this time, Martha Stewart really has the perfect recipe. It is easy and uses only 1 bowl, so clean up is a breeze! (Two bowls if you use this recipe along with my ganache which follows).

The reason I especially love this recipe is because it is dark, extremely moist, and keeps well. What do I mean by “keeps well”? To be honest, I made this recipe, served one cake for a birthday and kept one in a cool room (about 12 degrees), uncovered, and unfrosted. Then 2 days later, frosted it with ganache and served it. The cake was just as good and moist as the day it was made! Nothing better than 2 cakes for 2 occasions made so simply at one time!

I have already replaced any other recipes I had for chocolate cake with this one. Whenever I need a quick and easy celebratory cake or a treat for my loved ones, this rich and delectable cake is it. Try it!




One Bowl Chocolate Cake (or cupcakes)
From Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook

Makes two- 8” round cakes or 2 dozen cupcakes

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 large whole eggs, plus 1 large YOLK
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups warm water

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line your cake pans or muffin pans with paper liners or spray your cake pans with cooking spray.


Sift together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.

Add the eggs and yolk, milk, oil, vanilla and water, and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth and combined (about 3 minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

For Cake, divide the batter evenly among the cake pans and bake for 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. For Cupcakes, fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full and bake for about 25 minutes.

These cakes or cupcakes can be eaten as is or can be frosted. Before frosting, cool the cake or cupcakes completely .


You can frost the cakes individually or you can layer them with ganache in the middle, then decorate however you like!


Yummy Chocolate Ganache
170 grams of Semi Sweet Chocolate, in pieces
¾ cup Heavy Whipping Cream (35% butterfat)

Place the cream in a microwave large proof bowl and microwave on high for about 2 minutes until very hot. Add chopped chocolate and let stand for 3 minutes. Stir until smooth then let the ganache sit at room temperature until cool or slightly firm. Beat until creamy. Use as frosting.

22 comments:

  1. Looks decadent, I love chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! Chocolate cake is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you could see my drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake sounds wonderful - now I am hungry for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMM...I could really go for a slice of that chocolate cake right now. I love the one bowl idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that cake is calling my name!! great cake, I'm going to try this recipe the next time I make chocolate cake

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first photo is killing me. Looks soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just what I was looking for. My mother in law wants a decadent chocolate cake for her birthday and I am making her one, and this is it! Thanks for a great recipe, we love chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is seriously dark and rich!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea and it looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great and simple for those with little time but want to keep it homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  12. we need a chocolate cake today. eh, voila, here it is? we are making this asap. Thanks, s

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Everyone~ Thanks for all of your comments. Please, if you try this recipe, would love to know how it turns out! Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now this is what I call a chocolate cake! It looks so rich and scrumptious - I'll have to be extra good to deserve a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just wanted to tell you that your cake was wonderful! I made it for my birthday and I had to blog it and linked back to you. Here is the link if you want to check out what I wrote: http://cre8tivekitchen.blogspot.com/2009/05/decadent-chocolate-cake.html Thanks for a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brenda Campbell @ Cre8tive Kitchen sent me. Thanks for alerting us to this M. Stewart find.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what an awesome cake! Looks rich & yummy. Glad to have found u at Foodbuzz. Looking fwd to sharing @ http://luxuryhaven.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmmmm this looks lush! I will definitely give this a go x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow this looks delicious and so decadent! Glad to be your new follower, loving the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A wonderful, festive cake to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never seen those particular Nestle products in your photos before. Where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi ThechocolaterPriestess!

    Thanks for constantly checking out my blog!

    These nestle products are from France (you can buy that at supermarket chains like Carrefour) and the Nestle Dessert Chocolate is FABULOUS! I use it for everything. It is super dark and rich. In fact, it is often my chocolate of choice for just eating also!

    ReplyDelete