Search My Blog

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Yummy Potato Salad

So, I had some potatoes lying around and I was trying to decide what to do with them. Mash? Sautée? Boil? Fry? All delicious options, but all too heavy for the 45 degree weather in Dubai!

Perhaps that's why I hadn't eaten those potatoes yet! Then it came to me. Potato salad. I absolutely love potato salad. It reminds me of picnics in the park, family gatherings, and summer time. Perfect!

Now the question was, did I have everything else I needed to make potato salad. Well, that's the thing. Salad is so so versatile. You can make a dressing with basic pantry staples and then enhance the salad with whatever is left in the fridge.

Today, I toyed with the idea of skipping the heavier mayo based dressing and going with a light olive oil, lemon and caper dressing. That is, until I saw the mustards in the fridge.... it changed everything. Nothing better than a creamy mustard dressing to complement potatoes!

I also like to add veggies to my potato salads because of the contrasting textures: slightly soft boiled potatoes with the crunchiness and freshness of raw veggies. And then if you want to really dress it up? Add sliced boiled egg or crispy bacon (or both) on top. What a treat!!



Yummy Potato Salad
Serves 2

2 Large Potatoes
1 Shallot, chopped
1 stick celery, sliced very thinly
3 tbsp Mayonnaise
2 tbsp Grainy Mustard
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Optional: Sliced Boiled Eggs, Crispy Bacon (crumbled)

Boil potatoes for about 25 minutes, until just fork tender. Let cool (best if overnight in the fridge). Cut potatoes in large dice. Place in a bowl with chopped shallots and sliced celery.

In a separate bowl, mix mayonnaise, mustards and olive oil. Add the dressing to the potato mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Optional: Garnish with slices of boiled egg, or crispy bacon crumbled over top

12 comments:

  1. I love potato salad....just wish if I could have eaten more and without feeling stuffy.
    Haven't tried the one made with grainy mustard...would be great to make some for a picnic.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I love a grainy mustard and lots of it in my potato salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that version of your potato salad. I hate potato salad when its super mayonaisy, if you know what I mean!

    I can't wait to try this one

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very tasty! Perfect for a picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, I love mustard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. I love thr crunch of the celery and my family adores the egg/bacon additions (breakfast anyone)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a very similar potato salad over the weekend. Bacon and hard boiled egg are a definite must :):) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Potato salad is always a sure sign of summer! Love the grainy mustard in this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great potato salad, really yummy but 45 degrees in Dubai?? I thought it was warm all year around hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life is so funny-just last weekend my brother called me for a vegan potato salad recipe while at the store shopping. Together we made one helluva salad (or so he tells me)! Love the mustard edition. Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love spicy mustard in just about anything. looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love potatoes, in any kind of cooking. That is why you won't see them often in my kitchen. I could it them every single day.
    Yous salad looks incredible easy and yummy.
    My mouth is watering right now!

    ReplyDelete