Search My Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Spicy Sausage Linguine with Bell Peppers, Onions & Tomatoes


My apologies for my absence everyone, but as some of you already know, I have just moved back to Canada after many years abroad. It has been really nice to get closer to family and friends, but moving has its downsides also. In my case, living in hotels has to be my least favorite part. Many people I meet are envious of the hotel life, however, I have to say, it is not as grand as it sounds. Living in a hotel room means no kitchen, which means no cooking.  When hunger pangs strike, you either need to reach for the half eaten box of shreddies on the table or the few remaining digestive cookies or pretzels from the day before. Or you need to call room service. And then wait....

And it's not only the waiting. It's also the fact that no matter how interesting and delicious a room service menu is, it just lacks variety. It is not really designed for people who stay in a hotel for a long period of time. After a couple meals, I started to repeat dishes done before. Yes, I could always ask for some kind of "self-modified" menu item, but to be honest, no ones wants to be the guest that inspires the order taker to curse and swear when he or she gets off the phone.


So, today, I was super happy that having found a suitable apartment and temporarily equipping the kitchen with the necessary supplies (we are waiting for our actual shipment with all of our furnishings and kitchen supplies to arrive from the middle east), I was able to cook our first meal in our new apartment. Yes, I didn't have all the herbs and spices I would usually have. And yes, I improvised. But it tasted great. And the best part is that it was homemade.


Spicy Sausage Linguine with Bell Peppers, Onions & Tomatoes
Serves 4

4 Mild Italian Sausages, cut into 1cm slices
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Medium Onion, diced
1 Large Yellow Pepper, cut into slices
2 Small Red Chilis, seeded and chopped
2 cans Diced Tomatoes (14 ounces each)
Salt and Pepper
500 grams Whole Wheat Linguine

Cook the linguine in boiling, salted water for 2 minutes less than instructed on the packagee (the pasta will be a little hard to the bite). Drain and set aside.

In a large pan over medium to high heat, cook to sausage pieces until browned. Drain about 3/4 of the sausage drippings from the pan. Then add the minced garlic, onions, yellow pepper, and chilies. Cook until the onions and peppers start to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes, a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes.

Add the drained pasta into the sauce pan and toss. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and let the pasta cook the rest of the way in the sauce. This will take about 2-3 minutes. Remove the cover and taste. The pasta should be al dente and the sauce should have thickened.  Garnish if desired with fresh cracked pepper and parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment