Search My Blog

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Chocolate Orange Buttermilk Cakes



Again with the buttermilk! Like I said, it pays to freeze the stuff in half cup portions because you never know when you are going to need it.

In this case, I wanted to make some cupcakes with a subtle hint of chocolate and orange. I wanted cupcakes that would stand without icing...kind of like a cross between a cupcake and a muffin I guess? Okay, I take that back. I was trying to make it sound healthy by calling it a muffin (even though muffins are not always healthy). 

Let's just say that it's a flavorful cupcake that will not be frosted. I guess you could frost it with orange cream cheese frosting or a chocolate butter cream, but let's keep it simple (and guilt-free) for the moment.

This recipe would also be great doubled and poured into a bundt cake mould. Or as mini loaves. Or as the base of a cake. Regardless of the shape and even without the frosting, I think you will find these cakes moist, perfectly sweet and delicious! Great with a cup of tea!

Chocolate Orange Buttermilk Cakes
Makes 6 Cupcakes

1/4 cup Butter, room temperature
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Zest 1/2 Orange (approx 1 1/2 tsp)
1 Large Egg
1 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Low Fat Buttermilk
1/2 cup Mini Dark Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy,  Add egg, vanilla and orange zest and beat well.

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. 

Slowly mix half of the flour mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Then mix in half of the buttermilk, then the remaining flour and the remaining buttermilk. Stir in the chocolate chips. Be careful not to over mix.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. Thx for connecting with me on foodbuzz. I just subscribed to your blog feed and can't wait to see what your next post will be!

    ReplyDelete