Search My Blog

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies


So, I am officially 3 days overdue and taking this opportunity to continue this whole "nesting" thing.  I have moved on from savory dishes like the Pulled Pork and Chicken Enchiladas, lasagnas, and chili to cookies. Lots and lots of cookies. I've been enjoying every moment--- baking, sharing, eating and freezing for later.

I have made lots of my favorites, like these surprisingly delicious Lentil Cookies, packed with protein from the lentils, nuts and seeds; Nutella, Cranberry & Chocolate Cookies, a yummy blend of gooey nutella with chewy dried cranberries; and of course, Triple Chocolate Cookies-- need I say more?

But today, I felt like making a classic-- oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I thought since I am making tons of cookies these days that I would make them with completely whole wheat flour which makes them nuttier, heartier, and a little bit healthier, but of course, you can stick with white all purpose flour or a blend if you like.

I kept them simple with just oatmeal and chocolate chips, but if you are feeling like a little extra something, feel free to add walnuts or dried cranberries to the mix.

 Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups Quick Cooking Oatmeal
1 1/2 cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup chopped walnuts or dried cranberries (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and both sugars. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder, soda and salt and mix. Then stir in oatmeal. Fold in the chocolate chips (and cranberries or walnuts if using) until evenly distributed.

Drop dough by the tablespoon onto the lined baking sheet.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment