Search My Blog

Saturday, August 13, 2011

My Pasta Puttanesca


Lots of recipes are just variations of other recipes. Everyone adds their own special touch, adapts recipes to their specific tastes, or uses what they have on hand or in season.

In this case, I made Pasta Puttanesca. Basically, it's a tomato sauce with anchovies, garlic, onions, olives, capers, chili flakes and Italian Parsley. I made it my own by adding a whole bunch of kale to bulk it up and using whole wheat pasta.

You could top this with cheese, or eat it just drizzled with some extra virgin olive oil. However you deal with this flavorful sauce, it is sure to please!

My Pasta Puttanesca
Serves 4 people

375 grams Whole Wheat Spaghetti
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1/4 Large Red Onion, chopped
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
2 tbsp Anchovy Paste
1/3 cup Sliced Green Spanish Olives
3 tbsp Capers
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
1- 28 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
3 cups Chopped Kale
1 1/2 cups Italian Parsley, chopped

Cook the spaghetti as per the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.

In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper and anchovy paste and sautee until the onions and peppers just start to soften. Stir in the olives, capers, red pepper flakes, oregano, and black pepper. Then stir in the tomatoes. Let simmer for a few minutes, then stir in the kale and parsley until just wilted. Toss in the pasta. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

4 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds wonderful! I have actually never had capers before though I've read so many recipes with them in it. I think it's about time I change the status quo on that one :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks good. The capers are what make it (well, anchovies too). Briny and salty, just perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! Looks scrumptious. I think kale would integrate quite nicely into this traditional Italian dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great flavors here: capers, anchovies, dried tomatoes, olives. A great dish!

    ReplyDelete