Search My Blog

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Baked Salmon with Oregano Lemon Crust


People say that tuna is the chicken of the sea. I understand why... because it is readily available and extremely versatile. But to me, salmon is my chicken of the sea. I guess that's because in British Columbia, it is always available fresh and I find that you can flavor it and cook it so many ways. It is meaty, has just enough fat ( just like chicken) and is just so delicious. 

By far, my favorite way to cook salmon is steamed whole, Chinese style with ginger, green onions and soy. That definitely has something to do with my mom, who always cooks fresh salmon that way. It's healthy, flavorful and comforting.

I also enjoy salmon simply baked with dill sauce or grilled with lemon and thyme. There are just so many ways to enjoy salmon!

So, when I picked up some salmon fillets today, despite my inclination to use one of these tried and true methods, I wanted to try something new. So, I crusted the salmon with some panko, fresh herbs and lemon zest and baked it in the oven.

The salmon did not disappoint! Again, why it is my chicken of the sea!

Baked Salmon with Oregano Lemon Crust
Serves 4
 
Salmon Fillets (800 grams)
1 1/2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup Fresh Oregano Leaves
1 Large Lemon
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with foil and drizzle with olive oil.
Place the salmon, skin side down, on the baking sheet. Season the salmon generously with salt and pepper.

Zest the lemon and finely chop the zest with the oregano leaves. Mix into the panko. Press the panko mixture onto the top of the salmon to make a coating. Drizzle with olive oil.

Cut the lemon into half slices and place around the salmon on the baking sheet. Bake for about 18-20 minutes until the salmon is fairly firm to the touch and the topping is golden. Serve with fresh lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment