Search My Blog

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Honey Garlic Pork Loin Roast


I have to admit something. I haven't been eating beef-- for the last month. And it has everything to do with the e coli contamination and recall of so much beef in Canada.  It has just turned me off of all beef. I feel bad about it. I really do. Because I shouldn't be punishing all the great beef farmers and processors out there. But I just can't eat it. At least, not right now. I am sure it will pass eventually.

In the meantime, I am eating a lot of pork. And chicken. And pork. And when I have company, I cook some kind of pork roast.

Roasts are easy for big groups of people because they take a little preparation, and then the oven does all the work for you while you entertain your guests. Normally I would alternate between beef and pork, but like I said earlier, I just can't do beef right now.

So, after exhausting my simple, no fuss pork roast and the roasted pork shoulder (twice), I needed to find another tasty but different flavor profile for my roasted pork other than garlic and herbs. So, I turned to one of my favorite chicken wing sauces for inspiration: Honey Garlic. Yes, a pork roast with honey garlic sauce. It was fantastic. The pork was slow roasted and very moist and the sauce was to die for. In fact, my family could not stop eating it (mental note, double the sauce next time).

This may just become another family get together staple!

Honey Garlic Pork Loin Roast
Servings Vary (depending on size of the roast)

Pork Loin Roast (1kg to 3kg)
  
Marinade/ Sauce Ingredients
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 cup Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 cup Dark Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Orange Juice
6 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 tbsp Ginger, chopped

Whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Place the pork roast into a ziplock bag or if really large, into a roasting pan. Pour marinade over the pork roast, turn it a few times in the marinade, cover and marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Remove the pork from the marinade and place in a roasting pan. Bake at 200 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Turn the oven down to 140 degrees Celsius and bake for another approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the internal temperature of the pork roast is between 65-70 degrees Celsius (150-160 degrees Fahrenheit). Remove the roast from the oven, put on a plate, cover with foil and let rest for about 20 minutes before cutting.

While the pork roast is cooking, reduce the marinade into a sauce by pouring the marinade into a sauce pan and bringing up to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and let the sauce cook, stirring occasionally until it reduces by about half and can coat the back of a spoon.
 
Serve the pork roast with the sauce and your choice of sides.

1 comment: