Search My Blog

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Crunch & Punch Potato Salad



What is "Crunch & Punch?" Well, it's what I think that all potatoes need. "Crunch" because the softer texture of the potato needs to be combined with something crunchy. "Punch" because all potatoes need a little flavor boost. Quite frankly, without crunch and punch, potatoes end up being a little bit boring. On the flip side, however, potatoes are like a blank canvas, just waiting to be painted into something wonderful.

Having said that, I decided to make a potato salad today. And I am not talking about a traditional potato salad.

I am talking about a potato salad with just as much other stuff as there is potato. It's healthy, it's tasty, and it has both the "crunch" and the "punch."

Crunch & Punch Potato Salad
Serves 2 (or 4 as side dish)

2 Large Potatoes
1 Can Tuna, drained
1 Large Tomato, diced
1 Red Pepper, sliced
1/2 White Onion, thinly sliced
1 Small Cucumber, diced
Handful of Fresh Cilantro, chopped

For the Sauce
2 tbsp Grainy Dijon Mustard
2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook the whole potatoes until fork tender, either by boiling, in the microwave, or in the oven. I honestly don't peel my potatoes( I scrub them really well) but you are welcome to peel them if you prefer.

Once the potatoes are cooked, cut into a large dice and place in a bowl. Add the drained tuna, tomato, red pepper, onion, cucumber, and cilantro.

In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard and vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce into the potato, tuna, and veggie mixture. Toss to coat. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Love the title - I could certainly go for a potato salad that had both crunch and punch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmh. This looks great. I love a good potatoe salad!

    ReplyDelete