Search My Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins


Ripe, frozen bananas and buttermilk are always two items that I have in my freezer. Why? Well, the bananas are pretty much self explanatory. I buy way too many, they get ripe really fast, and I through them in the freezer. As for the buttermilk, it seems that anytime I need buttermilk, I only need 1/2 a cup or so. And it just so happens that I can usually only find buttermilk by the litre. So, I use what I need, then freeze the rest in 1/2 cup portions for later use.

So, what to do with bananas and buttermilk (other than make my kick butt Banana Walnut Bread)? I was in the mood for peanut butter and what better combination than peanut butter and bananas? So, I decided to make peanut butter and banana muffins with an additional kick of peanut butter spread on top.

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
Makes 6 Muffins

Wet Ingredients
2 tsp Canola Oil
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 Large Egg
1 Very Ripe Banana, mashed
2 tbsp Smooth Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Low Fat Buttermilk

Dry Ingredients
1/2 cup Flour
1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 cup Quick Oats
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin tins and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat oil, sugar and egg together. Beat in banana, peanut butter, and buttermilk.
In another bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just combined.

Spoon batter into lined muffin tins. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy as is, or for that extra peanut butter flavor, top with peanut butter and a slice of fresh banana or a banana chip.

No comments:

Post a Comment