Search My Blog

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Classic Christmas Shortbread


And so the Christmas baking begins! First on the list are classic Christmas shortbread. My mom made these every year and I love them!

So often, when Christmas comes rolling around, we seek out new and fun Christmas cookie recipes, but for me, there is something to be said about the classics.  It would be difficult for me to let a Christmas pass without these particular shortbread cookies.My mom used to make loads and store them in cookie tins sealed tight with wax paper in the freezer. Then, I would sneak down to the basement chest freezer and eat them, one by one. Yes, they taste fabulous right out of the freezer. They are crunchy, then just melt in your mouth! In fact, I prefer eating them out of the freezer than fresh!

They are super easy, and I would guess that most of us have these pantry items kicking around (well except for the candied cherries). For me, the candied cherries are essential, but if you don't have them, colored sugar will work fine.

Shortbread
Makes about 3 dozen cookies

1 cup butter
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 cup Cornstarch
For decorating- Candied Cherries, Colored Sugar

Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

Beat the butter until light and fluffy, Add icing sugar and continue to beat well.

Sift flour and cornstarch and gradually add to the butter mixture, beating constantly.

Drop by spoonful onto cookie sheet or roll out and cut into shapes. (refrigerate the dough if necessary to make rolling easier). 

Decorate cookies with cherry halves. Bake for about 12-15 minutes until set but not browned. Cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment