Search My Blog

Monday, August 19, 2013

Blueberry Maple Muffins


There is definitely an abundance of blueberries in my fridge. Not that I am complaining. Nothing makes me happier that seeing lots and lots of blueberries.

They are one of my favorite fruits and in the peak of the season, I could eat them all day! On yogurt or ice cream, with cereal, and even in salads. And let's not forget the bowls and bowls of fresh blueberries that I eat by the handful when I need a sweet snack or a nibble which doing other things.  Nothing is better than fresh blueberries!

Today, however, I decided that I had so many blueberries, that I could spare some in a batch of muffins as a quick grab and go breakfast. They were so good, I am thinking of making a double batch and freezing some to have available to just warm in the oven later too!

In this recipe, I used a mix of rye flour and whole wheat flour. I love the hearty bitterness that rye brings to these muffins, however, if you prefer, you could use strictly whole wheat or white flour or a mix of both.

Blueberry Maple Muffins
makes 12 muffins

2 Eggs
1/4 cup Butter, melted
1/4 cup Canola Oil
1/3 cup Maple Syrup
3/4 cup Milk
Zest 1 Orange
2 cups Rye Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt 
1 cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Line or grease a muffin tin and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and the butter. Then add the oil, maple syrup, milk and orange zest.

In a separate bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, soda, and salt. 

Add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring until just combined. Stir in the blueberries.  Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick placed in the centre comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment