Search My Blog

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies


As I have mentioned time and again, I am more of a savory than a sweet person. When given the choice between a piece of cake and a roasted chicken, I would go for the chicken every time (and wouldn't mind eating the cake afterwards if it's still around!).

However, in the last days of my pregnancy, I found myself wanting more sweets. And by sweets, I don't mean sickeningly sweet pastries and candy, but good, homemade sweets using the ingredients I already love, like dark chocolate.

One such homemade goodie that I found I could not get enough of was my peanut butter dark chocolate chip cookies. Perhaps it's because they balance savory (with the peanut butter) and sweet. Or perhaps it is just because they are so darn good!

I made so many of these cookies that I froze a whole bunch, and found that they tasted even better straight out of the freezer! I do love frozen cookies in general, but these were absolutely to die for! I ended up making several batches in the last couple of weeks of my pregnancy just to satisfy my craving!

Now, one month after giving birth, despite not craving sweets like I did in those last few weeks, these cookies still satisfy that occasional need for sugar without being too sweet. They are definitely a staple in my freezer from now on!

Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 2 dozen

3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Butter, room temp
1/2 cup All Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
1 Egg
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
Granulated Sugar or Sea Salt (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets and set aside.

Cream together brown sugar and butter. Beat in peanut butter, egg, and vanilla. Then mix in the flour, baking soda, powder and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Form dough into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place on a lined cookie sheet and press lightly with your hand to form thick disks. Sprinkle each with a little granulated sugar or a sprinkle of sea salt (both optional). Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment