Search My Blog

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Nutella Pinwheel Cookies


'Tis the season for cookies and cookie swapping! Every year, my sister and I host a cookie swap. Each of the attendees bakes enough of one kind of cookie to give half a dozen to each person. That means, if there are 10 other people, you arrive with 5 dozen of the cookies you baked and leave with 5 dozen cookies that are 10 different varieties! 

I love this event, especially this year when I am crunched for time with a newborn. Essentially, I can make 1 type of cookie and end up with 10 kinds, many of which I have never tried before! 

This year, I wanted to make a simple cookie and one that I could make ahead. That way, I could make the dough at any point in the month leading up to the cookie swap, and bake them fresh the day before. I though the perfect choice would be a sliced icebox cookie. 

The tough decision was the filling. I was toying with making a cranberry orange compote for the inside or using my favorite jam, and then it hit me. Nutella. Who doesn't love Nutella? So, the nutella pinwheel cookie was born.

Nutella Pinwheel Cookies
Makes about 6 dozen

1 cup Butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups Sugar plus some for rolling
2 Large Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 cups Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
 
1 cup Nutella or another filling

Cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. 

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Separate the dough into 4 portions, shape into discs, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least half an hour. 

Once the dough is chilled, roll out into a square about 1/2 cm thick. Spread 1/5 of the nutella (or your choice of filling) onto the dough in an even layer, then roll the dough tightly into a pinwheel. Then roll the outside of the roll in some white sugar. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Repeat with the other 3 portions of dough. Place the rolls in the freezer for at least 4 hours or for up to 1 month. 

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Unwrap each roll and cut into slices about 1/2 cm thick and place the slices on a lined or greased baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until golden. 
 
*Other Possible Fillings
- Your favorite jam
- Brown Sugar, Butter and Cinnamon (and raisins if you like)
- Chocolate Chips (and nuts or dried fruit)
- Peanut Butter and Jam
- Maple Syrup, Butter and Sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment