Search My Blog

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Healthy, Veggie Packed Muffins for Baby (and mama!)


So, my little one is 8 months old! Wow, time sure does fly. And everyday, she is more and more interested in food and feeding herself. But she's not quite eating what we eat yet. I am still trying to limit the salt and added sugars and make sure she gets her fair share of veggies and whole grains.

The other challenge is that we seem to always be on the run. Which means we always need to bring snacks. So far, I have managed to stay away from pre-packaged snacks, but it's hard because I want something that is easy to make, is readily available when I need it, not too messy, and most of all, healthy. So I started making baby muffins.

Baby muffins are great because you can make a massive batch and freeze them. Whenever you need to take one on the run, pop it into a snack bag and by the time you are ready to eat it, the muffin will be thawed. They are easy for baby to eat because they aren't too slippery and messy, and they are easy for mama to clean when bits get dropped everywhere (which they definitely will!).

There are lots of options of what could be added to these muffins. I have a list of things I want to try like quinoa, pureed peas, apples, lentils, pumpkin.... etc and I promise to share as I make them! But for now, here is the first batch. Oh, and even though there is no fat, sugar or salt, I am sure you will find yourself eating them too!



Healthy, Veggie Packed Muffins for Baby
Makes about 2 dozen large muffins (or 4 dozen mini muffins)

Dry Ingredients
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 cups Rolled Oats (quick cooking not instant)
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
3/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg 

Wet Ingredients
1 cup Sweet Potato, mashed
1 cup Banana, mashed
1 1/4 cups Unsweetened Apple Sauce
2 Eggs
1 cup Grated Zuchinni
1 cup Grated Carrots

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line the muffin tins with liner and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together all wet ingredients.

Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Spoon into the prepared muffin tins. 

Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.

(Let cool completely before freezing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment