Search My Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

Chicken and White Bean Chili


I wanted something spicy. Honestly, I was craving something Mexican. But Mexican food doesn’t come easy in these parts of the world, so I needed to improvise. So, I checked around my kitchen, and decided to make a white bean chili. Okay, I know it’s not traditional (for a more traditional Chili con Carne recipe, click here), but sometimes you just have to work with what you’ve got.


The result? Delicious! And somehow, much lighter than a regular chili. Even though it had meat and beans, I guess the absence of red meat and the thick, tomato sauce made more delicate. I ate it over rice, and believe me, I probably could have eaten the whole pot, had my husband not come home!

Chicken and White Bean Chili
Serves 4

2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Chicken Breasts, cut into small chunks
4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
2 Medium Onions, medium dice
1 Large Green Chili
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Cumin
3 tsp Chili Powder (for moderate spicy…adjust as desired)
1 cup Grated Carrots
Juice of 1 Lemon
4 cups Chicken Broth (Low Sodium)
4 cups Cooked White Beans
2 tbsp Cornstarch mixed with 1/4cup Cold Water
1 cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped

In a large pan over medium- high heat, heat the oil. Cook the chicken until just browned. Add the garlic, onions, green chili, and spices. Cook for a few minutes until the onions start to soften. Add the carrots and lemon juice and stir to combine.
Add the chicken broth and beans to the pan and bring up to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes to let the flavors meld together.

Add the cornstarch and water mixture, and let it come up to a boil again. You should notice the chili getting a little thicker. Stir in the fresh cilantro.

This chili is great served over rice.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds scrumptious! Nothing's better than delicious chili to get people to eat more of those nutritious beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love white bean chili. This looks great

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds really yummy, I love white beans, this is a new recipe for me, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is just as fine as one would want - love all the goodness going on in that pot

    ReplyDelete