Search My Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Leek and Olive Tart


I was feeling French today. So I made a Leek and Olive Tart. I realize this thought process seems kind of random. I mean, after all, if I was feeling French, why not duck or escargot or foie gras??

Well, first because I didn’t have any of those things kicking around, and second, because I did have these ingredients. Well, that’s not really the only reason. My (French) husband really loves leeks, and it a popular French thing to turn leeks (well, everything) into a tart.


One major faux pas, however, is that it’s actually not a tart. A tart is sweet. This is savory. Therefore, it’s a torte. Oh well. And my second faux pas? My tart (or torte, if you want to be absolutely correct) is not made in the French style at all! But then again, it can’t be my fault…I’m not French!

Leek and Olive Tart
Makes 1- 9 inch tart

1 sheet Puff Pastry, thawed (about 300 grams)
1 tbsp Olive Oil
4 cups Leeks, sliced, white part only
½ tsp Dried Thyme
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
¾ cup Black Olives, sliced
3 Large Eggs, beaten
2/3 cup Evaporated Milk

Heat the oven to 400 degrees.

Place the puff pastry into a greased tart or pie pan. Prick the surface of the pastry with a fork and bake for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a pan, heat the olive oil. Add the leeks, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook until leeks have just softened. Remove from heat. Stir in the olives. Let the mixture cool to room temperature (this is important so that the eggs do not cook when you stir them into the mixture). Stir in the beaten eggs and the evaporated milk.

Pour the filling mixture into the pre-baked puff pastry shell. Bake in the oven for another 20 minutes, until the filling is just set and the pastry is golden.

4 comments: