Search My Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Flax Oat Fruit Bars



I am always looking for healthy snack foods and quick breakfast foods. Although I love muffins, they can be deceiving because they usually have quite a bit of added fat and sugar. Ditto for granola. And of course, I love cereal, but not exactly the kind of breakfast you can take on the run. That is, unless you eat it dry.


Then, I found these… these Flax Oat Fruit Bars include all the things I love without the not so good stuff. They are portable, freezeable, and most importantly… delicious!


Flax Oat Fruit Bars
Makes 18 bars (2 square dishes 9x9)

Dry Ingredients
3 cups Roll Oats (not quick cooking)
1/2 cup Unsalted Nuts, chopped (I used a mix of Walnuts, Hazelnuts, and Almonds)
1 cup Seedless Raisins
1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
1/4 cup Flax Seeds
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Salt

Wet Ingredients
2 Large Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
2 1/2 cups Non-fat Milk 

In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Stir in vanilla and milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring to combine. Let the mixture sit for about 45 minutes to let the liquids soak into the dry ingredients.


In the meantime, grease or line two 9 by 9 square baking dishes and preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Farenheit).
Pour the mixture into the prepared dishes and bake for about 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack before cutting.

These bars can be stored in an airtight container for about 1 week, or wrapped individually and frozen for up to 1 month.

2 comments:

  1. These look perfect! Great food to take on a hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that there is no sugar addition! I will def be trying these!

    Stephanie
    www.thepantrydish.com

    ReplyDelete