Search My Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Substitute for Nuts

So, a friend asked me today for a nut substitute, specifically for the Flax Oat Fruit Bars that I posted yesterday.  To be honest, never had to think about it, but my first suggestion would be seeds. They have a similar texture and crunch, and a bring great flavor and a lot of nutrients to this recipe just like the nuts do. Some of my favorites are sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. Just make sure they are unsalted.

If seeds are not your thing, you could also try dry roasted, unsalted soy nuts (which are not actually "nuts") or crunchy granola, although if you use pre-packaged granola, you need to make sure that it doesn't have any hidden nuts. 

Last suggestion? You could try some kind of puffed rice or cereal.  Although I haven't tried this one myself, I think it would work.

Anyway, use the same quanitity of these substitutes as nuts in the recipes, or use a little of each! Be interested to hear the results from those of you who try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment