Search My Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Four Bean Salad with Tangy Dressing


My mom used to make bean salad everytime we had company over. It was my least favorite dish. It was weird to eat a bowl of sweet and tart beans. Just didn't work for me.

Then my sister made it one night not too long ago. And it was fantastic. Hearty and filling with the tartness complementing the heaviness of the beans. I just couldn't stop eating it.

It's funny how dishes we remember as a child resurface in our adult lives. And it's amazing how our tastebuds change!

Four Bean Salad with Tangy Dressing
Serves 4-6

1 can Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
1 can Chick Peas, rinsed and drained
1 can Cut Wax Beans, rinsed and drained
1 can Cut Green Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Red Onion, chopped
1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped

For the Dressing:
1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Celery Seed
1 tbsp Mustard Dijon
Salt and Pepper

In a large bowl mix together all the salad ingredients.

In a seperate bowl, disolve the sugar in the vinegar. Add the other dressing ingredients and mix well. Pour the dressing onto the bean salad. Stir, cover, and refrigerate until service (the longer you refrigerate, the better this salad tastes, so I suggest you make it the night before).

2 comments: