Search My Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sausage and Egg Breakfast Sandwich


I am not really a fast food fanatic. I rarely eat it nor do I even crave it. Well, except for one thing. The Sausage and Egg McMuffin. That is my one guilty pleasure.

I love the saltiness of the sausage, the crisp chewiness of the English muffin and the fluffy, perfectly cooked egg. Every bite is just juicy perfection. But it's just not possible for either my body or my conscience to eat the Sausage and Egg McMuffin every day. After all, it is still fast food and not exactly the healthiest breakfast choice.

My husband, well aware of my weakness, went out and bought some lean ground pork last week. When I asked him why, he said it was so that we could make sausage and egg breakfast sandwiches at home!  It was easy, tasty and probably much healthier than the fast food version. 

Even if you aren't a fast food fan, you are sure to love this breakfast sandwich!

Sausage and Egg Breakfast Sandwich

Lean Ground Pork
Egg
Cheddar Cheese. sliced
Butter
English Muffin (Whole Wheat if you prefer)
Salt and Pepper

Shape a small handful of lean ground pork into a thin patty, about the size of the English muffin. Season with salt and pepper.

In a non-stick pan over medium-high heat, cook the sausage patty until fully cooked, turning once. Set aside.

Wipe out the pan, then add the egg (if you want to make it a perfectly round shape, cook the egg inside a greased round metal cookie cutter). Split the yolk so that it cooks with the egg white and season with salt and pepper. Flip the egg, place the cheese on top to melt, and cook until just set.

Lightly toast the English muffin, butter both sides, then add the egg with the cheese on top and the sausage. Voila! Your breakfast sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment